Thursday, June 5, 2014

My favorite go-to breakfast


I have a love-hate relationship with breakfast. I know it's the most important meal of the day, but it's also the time of day I'm most pressed for time. For a while, I tried hard boiled eggs in the morning. They were filling, but uninspired. Cereal is boring, and not the healthiest option. And I only have time for brunch at my favorite spot Centre St. Cafe a couple of times a month. So, to start most days right, I've found a breakfast that is nutritious, filling, and easy. Did I mention it's quick to make?

Wait for it ... it's a green smoothie! Gross, you say? That's what I said, with an unconvinced expression to my colleague who suggested it to me. Nothing like kale in the morning. Ew. She suggested not to knock it before trying it, so I gave it a whirl. Around the same time I got a Nutribullet for my dad's birthday and got one as part of the deal. I've been hooked since then. I've included a few recipe links at the end of this post.

Here's the one tip that makes my smoothie-making life, well, smoother. You know how this is so true of avocados?


Well, this was causing a problem with my green smoothies. There was about half a day during which avocados were perfect for my smoothie, but I only needed about 1/3 of an avocado for each smoothie.  When I stored the other half of avocado in the fridge, I did not like the results the next morning.

Not wanting to frequent the grocery store on a daily basis just to get fresh avocados, I invented the 'Cado Cube. 

To make, just scoop fresh, ripe avocados into your blender or Nutribullet. Note that you may want to time your avocado purchase accordingly so you won't be at work when they ripen. Add a few tablespoons of almond milk or water, and blend. Scoop into ice cube trays and freeze. Keep your 'Cado Cubes in a ziplock bag in the freezer, and add 2 to each smoothie.


Now that it's farmer's market season, I can easily pick up some fresh kale for my smoothies, like I did tonight. I also got radishes, upon Lu's request, oddly enough. Stay tuned to see if she will eat them.

Here are the smoothie recipes I promised. This entire site is devoted to them! I usually put these ingredients in my smoothie:

a couple of handfuls of spinach or kale (fresh or frozen), or 1/3-1/2 up to the Max line on your Nutribullet
1 banana
2 Cado Cubes
1 tsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. bee pollen
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. black elderberry syrup
a few tablespoons orange juice
a few tablespoons water if needed
whatever fresh or frozen fruit I have on hand. Peaches, mangoes, pears, apples, berries, and kiwis all work great.

Edited 10/25/19 to add, don't forget to soak your chia seeds (overnight or at least a half hour) to get the optimal nutritional benefit. 

Here's an official recipe:

Kimberly Snyder is nutritionist to the stars and author of The Beauty Detox Solution, published in 2011 to critical acclaim and praise from such names as Dr. Mehmet Oz, Drew Barrymore, Fergie, Hilary Duff and Owen Wilson. She prepares food for clients on Hollywood’s biggest film sets and gets them cameraready for starring roles and red carpet events. Snyder’s nutritional philosophy is rooted in the belief that health and beauty are entirely synonymous: outer beauty is a reflection of inner health. www.kimberlysnyder.net

Ingredients (64 ounces / 2-4 servings)
  • 1 ½- 2 cups very cold, filtered water
  • 6 cups spinach, chopped ( I use Kale instead of spinach b/c I use spinach in my salads)
  • 5 cups organic romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 stalks of organic celery
  • 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
  • 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
  • 1 organic banana
  • 1–2 tbsp. fresh organic lemon juice
Optional Ingredients
  • Ice cubes (the extra coldness can help newbies with the taste)
  • 1/2 cup of organic cilantro
  • 1/2 cup of organic parsley

Directions
Add water, spinach and chopped romaine to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed; mix until smooth. Gradually move to higher speeds and add the herbs, celery, pear, and apple. Add the banana and lemon juice last.
*For 1 serving, cut out one of the fruits and the cel

No comments:

Post a Comment